This blog has moved to http://jenny-marie.co.uk!
Check out this post on the updated site here: http://jenny-marie.co.uk/monday-links-and-on-being-an-ally-23-january-2017
It’s been a wee while since I did a link round-up, but some super resources have found their way onto my radar in recent weeks and I wanted to share.
It’s no news that these are grim times. I feel that, in many ways, what’s really happened lately is that the utter, horrifying mess we are already in has simply become more visible to those who hadn’t quite noticed before. If you are privileged enough not to have experienced racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, or disability discrimination (for example) it may have taken the election of a climate-change denying, racist, misogynistic narcissist like Donald Trump to (arguably) the most powerful political role on planet earth for you to have fully taken stock.
While my heart cannot help but swell somewhat at the images of women’s marches around the globe this past weekend, there is another part that remains heavy with the knowledge that many vital marches and protests still go significantly poorly attended by many who would do well to take this opportunity (the moment of this ‘taking stock’) to listen to marginalised voices; these are the voices of those who have experienced the full horror of hateful discrimination and who have been fighting for justice for a long, long time.
Veganism is supposedly a compassionate movement with its fair share of insidious racism, sexism, ableism, fat-shaming, transphobia, etc. We can do so much better. So if you are new to veganism (or just want to broaden your perspective in the spirit of this post) here are some inspiring, inclusive voices that are well worth listening to:
- Dr. A. Breeze Harper aka Sistah Vegan
- Pax Ahimsa Gethen
- Aph/Syl Ko & Black Vegans Rock
- Rachele Cateyes aka Rad Fat Vegan
- Christopher Sebastian
- Food Empowerment Project
- Honey LaBronx
- Unapologetically Bria Bea
(Also see my post about inclusive veganism.)
And honourable mentions for some folks who do great work:
As just-another-middle-class-cisgender-white-woman I pledge to continue to do my best to listen, learn, be graceful in owning my mistakes, offer my support, call out ignorance, and spread the word however I can.
On the awfulness of it all
Mental Health/Body Positivity
- How Honoring “Negative” Emotions Can Help Us Heal
- Why There’s No Shame In Feeling All The Feelings
- Take The Cake: Ugliness Is A Myth
- So You Wanna Get An IUD! (ask me how accurate this is in a week or so, GULP)
- A psychosomatic diagnosis is a doctor’s way of saying, “I don’t have a clue” (you’ll know how this feels if you have a chronic condition that’s real but also all in your mind like I do)
- Talk Softly and Carry a Carrot, Not a Stick (for all dog-people, but also just-all-people)
- Why Look at Animals: John Berger on What Our Relationship with Our Fellow Beings Reveals About Us